We are just over two weeks into January 2022, so let me ask…
How are YOU doing with sticking with it, and in general?
Perhaps you might be feeling a bit stuck and feeling like you might be failing this attempt of an alcohol-free January?
If so, not to worry. I got you covered!
Let’s look at the top 5 reasons why you might be struggling this January, and more importantly, what you can do to change it.
- You don’t have a solid WHY. If you’re trying to cut back on drinking “just because it sounds like a good idea”, you probably won’t make it past two weeks. Having a deep core reason to hold on to will be your driving force and anchor to keep you grounded. Without one, you have no clarity or energy to do much of anything. It must be more than just an interest. It has to be something of deep value.
- You’re thinking too long term. Just focus on TODAY. Make your intention just one day at a time, maybe two days, but no more than that. Why worry about next week, next month, or next year? Let’s stay grounded in the present.
- You’re focusing on NOT drinking. It’s not what you’re giving up, it’s what you are receiving!! By focusing on what you DO want and less on what you don’t (deprivation, feeling left out, etc) you will stay in a higher state of energy and focus…which is everything you DO want!
- Your commitment to yourself is weak. Changing a habit requires a commitment worth having. This ties back to your WHY, and also requires self-love and acknowledgment. If you have an off day, so what! Give yourself some grace and KEEP GOING! Don’t make a big deal about it. Just get back on the horse. Nobody is perfect.
- You don’t have a solid daily routine. Daily habits and rituals are GOLD. Without them, you cannot go very far and achieve the things you want in life. My favorite teacher for daily habits is John Maxwell. He says, “You will never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily habits.” Daily habits to consider are journaling, meditating/praying, breathing exercises, reading, exercise, affirmations, visualizing, cold showers, and practicing daily gratitude…just to name a few! Find what works and stick with it! The key here is consistency.
I hope this helps uncover some of the areas you might be feeling stuck. They are the foundational pieces to help you move forward instead of remaining idle.
When you’re ready to take it to the next level, schedule a Discovery Session with me to discuss how I can support you with personalized one-on-one focus. Together we will develop a plan right for you.